Interested students and individuals may complete the Veterinary Science Certificate Program through independent study. Those who complete the program, both curriculum and apprenticeship, are classified as a Veterinary Assistants (VA) in their chosen career track (clinical, One Health, or laboratory science). Graduates of this program are eligible for VA certification through the Texas Veterinary Medical Association (TVMA) through examination.
Program requirements include completion of curriculum and apprenticeship.
Curriculum requirements: complete 100 lessons, lesson questions, and a minimum of 50 activities in chosen career track.
- Clinical track: complete 75 core lessons and 25 clinical lessons for Veterinary Assistant (VA) classification – clinical.
- One Health track: complete 75 core lessons and 25 One Health lessons for Veterinary Assistant (VA) classification – One Health.
- Laboratory track: complete 75 core lessons and 25 laboratory lessons for Veterinary Assistant (VA) classification – laboratory.
- Business track is currently under development.
Complete 500 clinical skill hours in an apprenticeship role, paid or unpaid, in chosen career track, under the supervision of a career track professional.
- Clinical: 500 hours under supervision of veterinary professional (DVM, RVT, CVT)
- One Health: 500 skill hours under supervision of One Health professional (nurse, doctor, regulatory agency, etc.)
- Laboratory: 500 skill hours under supervision of laboratory professional (laboratory technician, diagnostician)
Curriculum Options (print, eBooks, and web-based curriculum)
Print/eBook curriculum option: Available through the TAMU AgriLife Extension Bookstore.
- Veterinary Science: Preparatory Training for the Veterinary Assistant by Floron C. Faries Jr. ($85 plus shipping & handling). Available in print and eBook edition.
Includes 100 core lesson and 25 clinical lessons
- Teacher Key to Veterinary Science: PTVA ($12.50 plus shipping & handling)
- One Health Science & Technology by Heather L. Simmons ($75 plus shipping and handling). Available in print and eBook edition.
(includes 25 One Health lessons, questions, and activities)
- Teacher Key for OHS&T ($12.50 plus shipping & handling)
- Laboratory Science & Technology by Heather L. Simmons ($75 plus shipping and handling). Available in print and eBook edition.
(includes 25 laboratory science lesson, questions, and activities)
- Teacher Key for LS&T ($12.50 plus shipping & handling)
- Veterinary Science Independent Study Curriculum ($2000 annual subscription) – clinical track
This is self-contained, fully automated, modular curriculum that allows individuals to complete the curriculum portion of the program online at their own pace.
- One Health Science & Technology Independent-Study Curriculum ($500 annual subscription) – One Health track
- Laboratory Science & Technology Independent Study Curriculum ($500 annual subscription) – laboratory track
Note: click course hyperlink (above) to view a full description and/or to enroll
Completion of Program
Individuals who complete both curriculum and apprenticeship receive Veterinary Assistant (VA) classification and are eligible for “certification” by the Texas Veterinary Medical Association (TVMA) through and examination process. Requirements for Certified Veterinary Assistant (CVA) Certification:
- Completion of approved curriculum
- Completion of apprenticeship
- CVA application form and clinical skill checklist may be found on the TVMA website at:
http://www.tvma.org > Certifications > CVA > CVA Applications and Checklists > For Hospitals
Note: Individuals should maintain the skills checklist while working in the apprenticeship. Do not wait until completion of program.