Certification: Texas Veterinary Medical Association – $135
(must be 16 or older to take the TVMA exam)
Graduates of the Veterinary Science Certificate Program (clinical track only) are eligible for certification through the Texas Veterinary Medical Association (TVMA) by examination. Requirements include:
- Participant completed 100 lessons and 50 activities in Veterinary Science: Preparatory Training for the Veterinary Assistant.
- Participant completed a minimum of 500 skill hours in an apprenticeship under the supervision of a veterinarian.
- Participant graduated the Veterinary Science Certificate Program and earned the Veterinary Assistant (VA) classification/title.
- VSCP graduates are eligible to take TVMA’s certification exam for the title classification of Certified Veterinary Assistant (CVA).
State certification of graduates from VA programs is an examination process offered by a state certifying entity approved by the state veterinary licensing board to certify VAs for practice in CVA positions in a clinical career field. Presently, state certification is only available to graduates of the clinical track.
The CVA certification by examination is offered by the Texas Veterinary Medical Association (TVMA), the approved state certifying entity in Texas. Other states may accept the TVMA certification of CVAs. TVMA offers examinations for CVA Level I, Level II, and Level III. Eligibility for the Level I examination includes completion of a study course, documentation of 500 minimum clinical skill hours through employment or internship in veterinary clinics, and validation of clinical skills checklist.
Upon completing the required study program and apprenticeship, application is made by the CVA for TVMA certification by examination. The information for eligibility for CVA examination for the three levels may be obtained at http://tvma.org under the following:
- Description, Training Materials, & Fees
- Policies & Guidelines
- Application & Clinical Skills Checklist – Hospital Personnel (military, homeschool, and private individuals)
- Application & Clinical Skills Checklist – High School
- Application & Clinical Skills Checklist – 4-H